As regular CFZ-watchers will know, for some time Corinna has been doing a column for Animals & Men and a regular segment on On The Track... particularly about out-of-place birds and rare vagrants. There seem to be more and more bird stories from all over the world hitting the news these days so, to make room for them all - and to give them all equal and worthy coverage - she has set up this new blog to cover all things feathery and Fortean.

Saturday 20 October 2012

Birds quickly find new feeders; there is proof


“When can I expect birds show up at my new feeder?”
That’s the most common question I get from readers who begin feeding birds for the first time. My answer is that it depends on several factors, including habitat and time of year, but usually, birds discover and use new feeders in just a few days. Let me illustrate this with two specific examples.
Back in August, I donated a half dozen gently used feeders to Grand Vue Park just outside Moundsville, W.Va. After recently adding a zip line course to complement the park’s existing outdoor activities, management agreed that a bird feeding station would be a welcome addition to the park. I dropped off the feeders on a sultry August morning, and the station was up two days later.
No birds
The feeders are located just a short distance from the main office, under tall trees and not far from the edge of the woods. I stopped by two days after the station was operational. It was hot and raining, and I saw not a single bird.

No comments:

Post a Comment