12:27pm Thursday 6th March 2014 in News
A bird carrying a lit cigarette to its nest is believed to have started a major fire in south London last night.
Fire investigators think the bird nicked the smouldering butt from the street below and dropped it into its nest in the roof area of the building in Stockwell, causing it to catch light.
Fire investigation officer Matt Cullen, who examined the scene, said: “When we got up into the roof, we were baffled as there were no obvious ignition sources – no one had been up to there for a long time and there were no electrics that could have sparked a blaze.
Surely not the bird, but the careless person who discarded the lit cigarette in the first place.