By Saul Saenz, Volusia County Reporter
Last Updated: Thursday, January 01, 2015, 6:38 PM
DAYTONA BEACH --
Some Volusia County beaches have high levels of bacteria which can make swimmers sick. An advisory issued Wednesday deemed the water at several beaches off Daytona Beach unfit to swim in.
Despite the advisory, supporters of our nation's veterans took a polar plunge in 65 degree waters Wednesday.
Not far away, seagulls and other birds are dropping waste along their migratory pattern, which cause unsafe levels of enterococci bacteria.
"There's a bunch of bacteria in it. I wouldn't wanna jump in there cause you could get sick and all that," added his son, Owen Mahle.
Florida Health Department workers in Volusia County said that bacteria from the bird's droppings can cause gastrointestinal illness, upper respiratory infections, or skin infections if open wounds or sores exist.