FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
A Dawn Chorus Concert
RSPB invites people to join them on their guided April Dawn Chorus Walk, Sunday 26 April, 5.45am-9.15am, Exminster Marshes.
Morwenna Griffiths, from the RSPB said, "There’s no better way to truly celebrate the coming of spring, than rising early to listen to the dawn chorus. For me it’s always a truly magical experience, as the symphony of bird song washes over me like gentle a wave – it is then that I feel most connected my natural surroundings. It’s such a privilege to watch and hear nature wake-up.
I often think that I’d love to know what species of birds are adding their voice to daybreak’s orchestra - and now here’s your chance to learn too. Meeting at RSPB Exminster Marshes car park at 5.45 am on Sunday 26 April, our wonderfully knowledgeable volunteer warden, Nigel Hewitt, will guide visitors around our RSPB Exminster Marshes. Visitors will experience the reserve coming alive with constant birdsong, as migrant warblers return from Africa to breed and sing loudly to proclaim their presence.”
What are visitors likely to hear?
· Skylarks – who burst into happy song as the soar into sky.
· Warblers – willow warblers, reed warblers and sedge warblers (secretive little brown birds who, returning from Africa to breed, sound a bit manic as they stake claim to territories)
· Chiffchaffs - who helpfully repeat their name over and over again – 'chiff' 'chaff'
· 'Garden bird' favourites such as blackbirds, robins, blue tits and chaffinches
What might you see?
· Butterflies such as Green-veined White and Orange-tip on Cuckoo Flower (Ladies Smock)
· Swallows and swifts hawking for insects
· Lapwings displaying as they pair up in time for nesting
· Ducks such as teal and shovellers
· Herons and mute swans
· A peregrine falcon on patrol
Miss Griffiths said, “ The April Dawn Chorus Walk is a wonderful opportunity to demystify and learn to identify some of the wonderful birdsong we hear all around us. You’ll be amazed at the range of birds you can hear when you’re out in the open.”
RSPB Member: £3
Booking is essential here: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/discover-the-magic-of-the-dawn-chorus-on-rspb-exminster-marshes-nature-reserve-registration-16532811083
Important Information: Please wear sturdy footwear and bring a drink/ some food to nibble on the way.
For further information and to arrange an interview, please contact:
Tony Whitehead, RSPB Press Officer, 01392 453754, 07872 414365
Images to support this story are available from RSPB Images.
To access an image, please click on the hyperlink below and then enter the user name and password when prompted.
Reserves & Premises Co-ordinator
RSPB South West Regional Office, 4th Floor (North Block), Broadwalk House, Southernhay West, Exeter. EX1 1TS.
Tel 01392 453767