As regular CFZ-watchers will know, for some time Corinna has been doing a column for Animals & Men and a regular segment on On The Track... particularly about out-of-place birds and rare vagrants. There seem to be more and more bird stories from all over the world hitting the news these days so, to make room for them all - and to give them all equal and worthy coverage - she has set up this new blog to cover all things feathery and Fortean.

Friday 9 November 2018

Young lad in Chennai spots rare Daurian Starling bird species


Posted on October 27, 2018 by S Ben Raja

Chennai: There are many birds which migrate between countries as seasons change. But they usually follow a rule as to which exact destination to reach and which one to avoid. But at times, they do deviate from their path and land in places absolutely new to them.

Meet Aravind A M (36), a resident of Sathasivam Nagar, Madipakkam, in the city who recently clicked a picture of a very rare bird. He has also registered his finding with the International Ornithology Congress, thereby creating a record. His findings have now featured in the ornithology guide as well. He speaks to News Today about how everything turned out.

Excerpts from his interview:
Q: How did you developed interest in bird watching?
A: I am currently working as a freelance consultant in Madipakkam. My mother Rama Anbazhagan (62) is a retired teacher and father D V Anbazhagan (69) is a retired bank employee. My interest in bird watching started after a i undertook a few tours when I was young. When I got opportunities to visit different places, I admired almost all the new birds I saw. This slowly became a passion.
Q: Your experience watching different species of birds.
A: I have been bird watching for the past eight years and have pictures of 350 rare species in my collection. My first breakthrough was when I spotted a rare bird in Madipakkam itself. I clicked a bird named Asian Pied Starling which is not found in Tamilnadu but in places like Northern Andhra Pradesh, Northern Karnataka, Central and Northern India. I spotted it in Ram Nagar a few months ago where it had even built a nest and laid eggs. This made me continue bird watching even more passionately. In fact, I have spotted rare birds in our residential areas itself in swamps and ditches.



No comments:

Post a Comment