Could have fed on poisonous carcass
Added At: 2014-02-01 10:29 PM
Last Updated At: 2014-02-01 10:29 PM
HIMALAYAN NEWS SERVICE
NAWALPARASI: Eleven vultures of critically endangered species were found dead near a ‘vulture restaurant’ in Nawalparasi yesterday, stoking suspicion if the carcass of a jackal they fed on was poisonous.
Dead birds were found at Surya Basti in Ram Nagar near Jatayu (vulture) Restaurant established about seven years ago as places where birds could feed on safe carcasses. According to Dipesh Sigdel, a local, the dun-coloured birds were strewn dead all over the fields on both sides of the east-west highway in Ram Nagar. Locals also found a jackal carcass nearby.
“It seems the jackal had died after it ate poison that is used to kill dogs, and the vultures died after feeding on the poisonous carcass,” said Dilli Chaudhary, chairperson of Happy Flights Group of Tilakpur. “This is the first time birds in such a great number have died at once since nine deaths last year about this time at Makar VDC.”
Bishwojyoti Nepal in Panch Nagar, Jatayu Restaurant in Pithauli and Happy Flights Group in Tilakpur have been working for the last few years to save rare birds in Nawalparasi.
According to an association working in the field of protecting rare birds, there are around 300 vultures of eight different species in the district.