As regular CFZ-watchers will know, for some time Corinna has been doing a column for Animals & Men and a regular segment on On The Track... particularly about out-of-place birds and rare vagrants. There seem to be more and more bird stories from all over the world hitting the news these days so, to make room for them all - and to give them all equal and worthy coverage - she has set up this new blog to cover all things feathery and Fortean.

Monday 21 January 2013

Ham Wall RSPB - Starling Murmuration, 17th January 2013



Video: (Best viewed in 1080p HD, full screen)


Posted by wildliferob 

Hi Everyone :)

Just wanted to share a video I filmed yesterday evening of the Starlings at Ham Wall RSPB in Somerset. I had been meaning to pop down over the last couple of years to see the birds but for one reason or another I didn't get round to it. Thankfully yesterday this changed.

An early start of 7am was needed as it was a couple of hours drive down from the Midlands, arrived after 9am and started by visiting Shapwick Heath. Spent a few hours here early in the morning, not a lot on offer out of the ordinary but still we enjoyed the walk & fresh air.

After lunch (in the warmth of the car!) we headed over to Ham Wall itself. I was surprised to find that there were no hides (does anyone know if there are any plans to put any in?) but several viewing screens and a couple of viewing platforms. I had a Kingfisher fly by which was one of my highlights along with sightings of usual woodland birds. Out on the water I couldn't locate a Great White Egret - which was one of my target birds for the day! - but I did pick up the usual suspects.

Overall to be honest it was a quiet day on the wildlife front but with the cold / damp weather I wasn't too surprised and I was just waiting the arrival of the Starlings, essentially what I had traveled down for.

No comments:

Post a Comment