As regular CFZ-watchers will know, for some time Corinna has been doing a column for Animals & Men and a regular segment on On The Track... particularly about out-of-place birds and rare vagrants. There seem to be more and more bird stories from all over the world hitting the news these days so, to make room for them all - and to give them all equal and worthy coverage - she has set up this new blog to cover all things feathery and Fortean.

Monday 25 January 2016

Rare bird captured on camera in Denbighshire

A RARE bird has been spotted by a St Asaph photographer.

Nathaniel Ramanaden was visiting one of Denbighshire's pebbled beaches when he spotted a small bird known as a snow bunting.

The 75-year-old said: “I have a few serious photographer friends who give me information when they spot something of interest anywhere in the North West and I do the same for them if I am first in the field.

“One of my friends contacted me on the day and told me where the bird was and where to find it within that place.

“So I quickly drove to the beach and scoured the area but it was very difficult to find as it is about the size of a sparrow or blue tit.

“The bird merges very well with the pebbles and sand, so it’s hard to spot unless you know what you're looking for, luckily I carry binoculars to help find the birds.”

According to the RSPB the snow bunting is a large bunting with a striking snowy plumage that breeds globally in places such as Scandinavia and Alaska and migrates further south in winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment